Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jeez, Could I Be More Wretched?!

Hello world and hello Philippines! The time now is 07:07 am, and I sit here feeling such a loser!!!! (S&*^! *&^$! %$#@! ^%$#!) Sorry about that. It's just that bad luck seemed to have been embracing me last night.

However nervous I was, there's this excitement I felt with the surgical procedure to be perfomed last night. It was an AP (Appendectomy) case, and it was NOT just an AP. The patient was for Exploratory Laparotomy or x-lap. (You know, they sort of clean everything up in the abdomen when the inflamed appendix has ruptured, and the surgeons check for any other significant problems). This kind of procedure lasts for AT LEAST three hours.

It wasn't just about the case that I'll be able to get, but the involvement itself. I've only been on a Caesarian section, Appendectomy, Herniorrhaphy and some other minor surgeries, and X-lap is SOMETHING else.

We were already inside the O.R at 8pm. We've made the necessary preparations-- the instruments on the back table, the mayo table, the O.R bed, and the--well, world-class anesthesia machine they've said (first and only one in the Philippines).

11.30 pm, and all the doctors were assembled already. The Surgeon, Dr. Baquiano, the Anaesthesiologist, Dr. Vizcayno, and the assistant surgeon whom I wasn't able to be acquainted with were present in the OR premises.

Dr. Baquiano got inside and assessed the patient. The classic physical assessment they always do with that kind of case--palpation. Fortunately, (for the patient, and unfortunate for someone who needs the case, that would be me) there was a change in his ( the patient's) condition. His abdomen shifted from board-like to soft. Moreover, the pain he was feeling was on the upper right abdomen, which could suggest a liver problem. He also felt this somewhere on his back, which also suggests a kidney problem. Thus, Dr. Baquiano decided to defer the procedure, and requested for UTZ (ultrasound). This is to further assess the priority problem of the patient, and be able to be certain where to approach best when he starts the procedure.

Oh well, I guess it wasn't just my day. Jinx was in every corner of that room. What more can I do? It's already decided. It just feels really frustrating. bah! Off to sleep now, 16 frickin' hours is driving me nuts.

No comments: